Wednesday, October 29, 2008

We Have Arrived!

We got here with relative easy. There are already so many stories to tell and we really haven't done much yet.

While in route we've both come down with a cold. Upon landing Sean read in our Korean etiquette book that a person doesn't blow their nose in public. Looking at our large bag of used Kleenex we realized that we've already managed to offend many good people!! While going through customs we had to walk through a Quarantine area and we tried to look our healthiest. Must have worked because they didn't stop us. The driver from the agency was there with a sign saying "Mr. & Mrs. Henson", I so wanted to take his picture (and give him a big hug!), but thought it would definitely make me look like a crazy tourist so I refrained. He then drove us in the "Love Mobile" to Eastern. He gave us a note saying that we could stay at the guest house for two nights and then they have made us reservations at a hotel down the street. I'm just glad we get to stay here at all. It is very nice.

Oh yeah, and the letter said to come "October 30th (FRIDAY)" to the agency and meet our son!!! Hummmm....conflicting date information.....I'm really hoping they mean tomorrow!! We'll call in the morning and check.

After we got settled in our room we went out for some dinner. We found a little restaurant not far from here. No one on the staff spoke English and we'd forgotten our Korean to English dictionary. Thank God for menu's with pictures! It was a terrific meal!! Everyone we've come in contact with has been so warm and friendly and willing to go out of their way to help us. I'm very excited to be connected to this culture for the rest of my life. I've been thinking a lot about our little guy's biological mother. In a city of 11 million people I doubt we'll run into her (or even know if we do), but I can't help looking at every woman we meet wondering. Being this close to her I want to send her a message that he's going to be OK. That we're going to honor her painful choice of letting our little guy go by giving him the best home and most love we can provide. And to just thank her.

Tomorrow is sure to be a crazy day. We'll post pictures as soon as we can!

8 comments:

Steve and Mellissa said...

So glad you made. Can't wait to see pictures.

Jen said...

So glad that you made it to Seoul, and Eastern, without any mishaps! Enjoy yourselves and I hope that you get to meet your son tomorrow (and not have to wait until Friday!)

Take are and enjoy yourselves!

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it alright and have a place to stay! Keep us updated!!!

Grammie said...

Ohhhhhhh, this is SOOOOOO exciting!
Thanks for keeping us updated. At times like these I LOVE computers!
So glad you were picked up and you get to stay in the Eastern facility.
Will be checking in often!! Love you both (all 3 of you!!)
Love, Mom

Kristen said...

I'm so glad to hear you made it safely to Korea and are enjoying the people and culture. I cannot wait to see pictures from your 1st meeting w/your son tomorrow! I will say a special prayer for you tonight that the visit goes well and that your son's birthmom is comforted knowing he will have two loving parents to care for him.

Best wishes for a safe and happy trip!

Kristen

BURNS FAMILY said...

Glad to hear you arrived safe and sound! Hope your colds go away quickly! I am so excited for you and all I can do is sit here and type you a message! I can't wait to hear your stories. Everyone is good here and anxiously waiting for your return. :)

Rach@In His Hands said...

What a great post! I can feel your
excitement!
Blessings to you as you meet you SON!! Can't wait to hear all about it.
Enjoy this trip of a lifetime...
~ Rachel

Grammie said...

He is adorable!! I'm so glad it went well for you.
You and Sean look so happy--even with colds (I know you're still trying to look 'healthy' in case the quarantine squad shows up, huh!).

I checked your blog 5 times last night (all the way up to 3 this morning!) No pressure here!

Take care, Hon, and will print all off for Gma and Gpa. Called them last night to read your first blog. They want info as soon as I can get it to them!!
Love you all~ Mom