Friday, February 6, 2009

How to terriorize your soon-to-be toddler....

It is simple really....go through the automatic car wash. Today I learned about Ian's biggest fear. I thought it actually might be fun and I'd get the van clean...a win win. But once we were in place and the sprayers started, so did the crying. No amount of consoling or telling him it was going to be alright made any difference. From his perspective it was like this: There is a large monster outside my window! And not the kind from Sesame Street. Oh, o.k. I think it might be gone....Oh, wait here it comes again!!!! Oh, the humanity!!!! Will this never end?? The Mom in the van was beginning to wonder the same thing. Meanwhile, on the other side of the van was a whole different experience. Cydney would squeal with delight with each passing and exclaim "Ooooo we're getting soooo kwean!!" So the lesson learned here, was to leave Ian at home next time and wait a few years before we try it again with him. Poor little guy.

We have a new place to hang out during the day. We became a YMCA family last week. It appealed to me because I could take the kids with me and they would have fun in the activity room and I'd get a little bit of exercise and wean myself from the need for coffee. Everyone wins. I knew it would be an adjustment for Ian, but he has really done pretty well. I also like it because if he is upset for very long they'll come get me. Cydney likes to run the track after I come and get them. I carry Ian as we are chased by bears, bees, or lions. Although today he wanted to run it himself. He tries so hard to keep up with Cydney. It won't be too long before he can.

3 comments:

BURNS FAMILY said...

That is hilarious! Landon is STILL afraid of the car wash so I can't offer any good suggestions. :) The YMCA sounds like fun for everyone. We miss you guys!

The Tracys said...

That's funny! The same thing happened to Rylan the first time I took him through a car wash. I was just cleaning my MIL's car after I'd borrowed it and didn't even think about what he might think. Oy, hopefully our boys won't need therapy after that traumatizing experience!

Kara said...

Oh my gosh! We had the same experience with my oldest this weekend! He was terrified of the car wash. Oh well...I guess I'll just have to send my hubby from now on!